International Railway Expert
The PPF4 Project Preparation Facility – Support to the IPA III Component, an EU-funded project managed by the Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Serbia, is being implemented by an international consortium led by our client.
IPA Component III (Regional Development) can finance investments and associated technical assistance in areas such as transport, environment and economic cohesion. The principal foci of the PPF4 project are Rail & River Transport, Environment and Competiveness.
The purpose of the PPF4 project is to increase the quality of project implementation under the IPA programmes through the provision of support to the Strategic Coordinator for IPA III and IV, respective Line Ministries and other agencies in the identification, screening and preparation of project documentation and tendering documentation. The project has two Work Items:
Work Item 1; The existing pipeline of major (above 10 MEUR) high quality and financially viable projects for financing by EU through IPA component III, national and/or IFI/other funding is further developed with full project documentation and tender dossiers.
Work Item 2; Several non-major projects (below 10 MEUR) and/or technical assistance projects for financing by EU through IPA component III, national and/or IFI/other funding are prepared with full tendering documentation.
The principal railways project is the preparation of the Preliminary Design for the railway section Nis – Brestovac. These Terms of Reference address the requirement for a Non-key International Railways Expert.
The appointment will be on the basis of a contracts for 50 workday. It is envisaged that the total number of working days will be up to 100 working days.
Tasks for the expert will be described in Orders for Services, issued by the PPF4 Team Leader, which will specify activities, outputs and working days.
The Expert must provide 100% of his/her inputs in Serbia. Working on Saturdays, Sundays or public holidays will not be permitted.
The base of operations will be Belgrade and office facilities will be provided. Travel throughout Serbia will be necessary during the project. The cost of this travel and accommodation will be covered by the project according to the expert’s contract.
Qualifications and skills
- Relevant university degree (a primary degree in a discipline relevant to this contract, e.g., Civil or Railways Engineering.
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken.
- Computer of English, literacy (Microsoft Office applications);
General professional experience
- At least10 years of relevant professional experience in preparation of project documents for major railway reconstruction/new construction projects. At least with two years experience working with IFI funded projects.
Specific professional experience
- Extensive experience required in preparation of feasibility studies and checking of preliminary design for major railways projects.
Knowledge of EU railway interoperability regulation
General Expert Tasks:
- Review and understand these TOR and the overall PPF4 project TOR.
- Report directly to the Railways Project Preparation Key Expert.
- Assist and cooperate closely with the Senior International Railway in the preparation of Preliminary Design for the Nis – Brestovac railway section.
Make contributions to PPF4 progress reports and participate in project related meetings and activities as required by the Team Leader or the Railways Project Preparation Key Expert.
The main activity to be executed by the Non-key International Railways Expert is the preparation of the Preliminary Design for the railways project in compliance with Serbian and EU requirements.
- Work within an experts team consisting of International and local, railway engineers, environmentalists and economists in the finalisation of the Preliminary Design for the section Nis – Brestovac.
- Co-ordinate and monitor the site surveys.
- Supervise and participate in the preparation of preliminary design products
- Prepare all reports in the English language.
- Maintain accurate documentation (using agreed file name / tracking / version protocol) and ensure adequate backup and protection.
- Establish and maintain a professional working relationship with all relevant parties, under the direction of the PPF4 Team Leader.
Produce brief monthly reports as required.
All prepared documents, worksheets etc., shall be provided to the PPF4 Team Leader in a suitable unprotected electronic format.
The Expert Activities and Outputs set out above may be amended by the Team Leader and the Railways Project Preparation Key Expert at any stage during the implementation of the project, depending on the evolving needs of the project and the Client or Beneficiary.
The Expert is generally expected to be flexible and will be expected to deliver the outputs specified in Orders for Services issued by the PPF4 Team Leader.